Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Being Poor Is A Bitch

I used to think that when I get my degree and get a job, I'd be one of those yuppies I read in books and magazines whose careers take them around the world and conquer it.  Yep I got my degree and I got a job but I did not conquer the world.  I haven't even been outside the country and the travels in a few places around the country were not I would call dazzling or remotely conquering.  And the pay is the usual government low.  In sum, my career sucks and I'm poor with debts accumulated through the years bringing me lower.

Edwin would say that I have low EQ when I start to grumble and envy my friends who have careers that are to die for.  I'm not worldly and I am best at home but there are times that I want to go out with friends and family but can't because it would be better to save the cost for milk, fish, meat and other necessities.  Having no money is such a bitch and it becomes worst when there are health emergencies and there are no food to eat.  When I gave birth I promised to provide everything for my child but it looks like that I'm reneging on my promise.  Simply because there is not enough money for even the basic necessities.  The phrase "Isang Kahig Isang Tuka" literally describes what is happening. 

And yet there are people like me in government service that are receiving more than a whole division.  I don't how they can wake up each day and face the mirror when a lot of us had to resort to borrowing money with usurious interest from Bombays because our salaries are not enough to provide for our children.  Being poor is really is a bitch.

1 comment: