Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Techie 3 days

I am attending a 3-day training here in Pearlmont on GIS appreciation.  I've always been fascinated by GIS and the like because of my addiction to "Without A Trace".  Without A Trace was a drama-suspense series in the US which featured FBI Special Agent Malone and his team that were tasked to find missing persons as soon as they were reported.  They used various technology to find these missing persons and GIS was one of the technology they use.  They traced the person by tracking the signal on his cellular phone and by other gadgets that emit a signal.  Although technology was an important tool in finding the missing person, it were the skills of the agents that were critical to the investigation.  The team not only finds the missing person, they also solve the crime and the motive behind the disappearance.

Back to my training, the next 3 days will orient me on GIS so that I can appreciate it and hopefully my appreciation will prod me to the next level.  I want to apply what I will learn on GIS to my M&E work in MRDP.  I want to map the MRDP subprojects and beneficiaries using GIS so that it will be easier for future World Bank projects to locate and identify MRDP subprojects.  GIS is expensive because the people skill needs to be complimented with hardware and software.  I hope the office can provide the needed hardware and software so that what I will learn in the training will not be lost to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment