Thursday, August 12, 2010

Training Woes and Oohhss

On my second day of GIS appreciation training, our resource person, Gauie was trying his best to explain the all too technical geographical referencing and GPS to lowly analog mortals like me and failing.  I may not fully grasp the vertex points and tiff and other terms that I have pushed to the far recesses of my brain as soon as I heard it but when he showed us the final output, it got me appreciating it and exclaiming my Oohhss.  We also got the taste of getting the GPS coordinates under the heat of the sun.  It just shows how interested I was because I braved the mid day sun just to get the approximate coordinates.  I may be into ditigal but I'm still hopelessly analog.

The training participants are a mixture of personalities.  When things get too complicated for us, we resort to humor to lighten the mood and groan aloud whenever our maps just happen to disappear from the ArcView window.  Now I know why the MLGUs in the MRDP shake their heads and complain when the subject of the BDP packaging is mentioned.  Overlaying of thematic maps is one of the requirements in the BDP and the barangays are expected to come up with it.  The last 2 days exercises showed me that the overlaying of maps  is not as simple as putting one map on top of the other although simply saying its just that. But doing the overlaying thing via GIS is well, just hard.  I sympathize wih the MLGUs now.  It really is not easy especially if you do not have the data needed for the overlaying. 

This training can also be aptly titled "Appreciation and Vexation of GIS".  Because after you start to appreciate it, the feeling of vexation comes next.  What does tomorrow brings to analogs like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment